Monday, July 6, 2009

The Most Awesome Vaction Ever

Well it has been way to long since I posted. The first thing I want to tell you about is the amazing vacation that I took this summer. I went with some friends to the Havasupai Indian reservation in the base of the Grand Canyon. The scenery is truly beautiful, breath taking and worth every mile I walked to get to it. We drove from Missouri to Arizona in about 3 days. We stopped to see the Oklahoma City bombing memorial, that will truly humble you. It was very worth seeing, if you have an opportunity I highly recommend it.

We stopped at the painted desert and the petrified forest along the way. It was nice to get out and walk around a bit since we had spent so many hours in the car. The painted desert was beautiful but I am told by a gal that use to live there it is more beautiful after it has just rained. The petrified forest was something to see, you wouldn't believe all those trees turned to stone, amazing.

There there was the hike. It began at the Haluapi hilltop approximatley 10 miles from the campground. It is 8 miles from the hilltop to the indian village where you have to stop and check in. We all packed our gear, food, clothing and anything else we needed in our back packs and headed down the trail. The first 2 miles were downhill switchbacks, then 6 miles of river bed rocks and red sandy dirt. We made it to the village just when we were beginning to wonder if we would ever make it to the campground. There is a little restraunt in the village that we stopped and had a rootbeer before continuing on to the campground. Those last 2 miles were a killer, every muscle in my body hurt and my knees were screaming that they had enough. Just when I wasn't sure if I could make my feet move one in front of the other we saw the first waterfall. Oh yeah I can make it, this place is amazing. I think this trip we all found out what we were made of, it took us about 4.5 to 5 hrs to make it from the hilltop to the campground. The first thing we did was take a nap, and we deserved it. We stayed 3 nights here and are hoping to repeat this trip in a few years.

Here is the link to a slideshow of just some of the photos from the hiking trip.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=b140abbe.pbw

1 comment:

Nicki said...

looks beautiful