Monday, August 4, 2008

Pet Therapy

I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I have been hoping for this moment for the past 6 yrs. I have been wanting to be part of Pet therapy ever since I got my first Boston Terrier, Brady. We tried together to get to do this but Brady could never contain his excitement when he met new people. He has always jumped. I worked for quite a while to get him not to but I was unsuccessful in my attempts. Bradley was my next Boston. Bradley is a wonderful dog but he has a certain edge to him. I know when and what causes it but I just don't believe pet therapy is his thing. He loves agility and dock diving...those are his things. I so love him for what he is, even his quirks. Bentley, well he just turned one and is a bit on the wild side. He is learning agility, tracking and I have been teaching him some rally. I still hope that maybe some day he might settle down enough to do some pet therapy. Now is just not the time. Then there is Chester. He is a wonderful little dog. Yes, he is a Boston. Chester came to me for some training. When the training was done his owner thought it might be best to rehome him. I put all that work into him so my husband and I decided to adopt him. We love him so. He is our smallest Boston at 14lbs. He has probably been in 3 or 4 homes in his 3 short years on this earth. When we got him he didn't know any commands. He still marked in the house. He was so starved for love. He has come so far in such a short time. He is very laid back. He loves to be held and he loves to play with Bentley. He has such a gentle spirit. He is wonderful with children and offers to sit so they can pet him. I just know he was meant to be my pet therapy partner. We will testing September 13th. I know he has it in him to do this. I know he will do this some day. I am so excited. I found out that the pediatric floor at one of the hospitals has an opening for a team. I just know that opening is for us!

No comments: